Sunday 22 September 2013

Where are you really from?

Today was a beautiful day, too nice to sit at home and have a typical lazy September Sunday so some fresh air was needed. Usually Crosby beach is first on the list (a good salty sea air walk makes way for a great sunday nap) but there was one place that stood out, which was to the top of my road. 
This walk usually takes me to the train station which can take me anywhere at all but a couple of paces further on and i was in the most beautiful, peaceful place that has always been forgotton about. 
Rice Lane Farm now has a reputation of those who give Liverpool a bad name taking shelter, i havent been for years for fear of having to even see those delightful young kids that you see walking past your house to go and see the lovely animals (can you sense the sarcasm) yet today was simply young families taking their children for a walk or the dedicated dog walker. 
As soon as i stepped through those gates i was taken back to all those times my Nan and Grandad took me, just like those who were there today. 
The farm itself hasnt changed but what struck me the most was the history and feeling of nostalgia it had. This was probably mainly due to being blessed land and the many gravestones that were scattered around. 
I live in the heart of Liverpool and the peaceful nature this place had made me appriciate where i live and where i come from even more, the history that this city has is huge and we simply do not find out about our own cities before visiting others. 
Gravestones go as far back as 1863! This land that is not even 50 metres away from my house is 150 years old! Maybe even more. Who were these people? Did they live in Walton as we know it now? Questions that i feel i want to know...
What do you know about where you live? I bet you will be suprised...

No comments:

Post a Comment